Give the Gift of Knowledge

We have selected amazing books to give as gifts all year long, to populate your home library shelves and to fill those special gift bags. Give the Gift of Knowledge, give a book! You can also read more detailed author interviews at: www.blackpearlsmagazine.com. Share this page on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter!

Business Spotlight: Upstage Comedians

Intimate Conversation with Darryl Hutchins founder of Upstage Comedians

Darryl Hutchins is a Christian comedian known as D'Lo (The Bernie Mac of Christian Comedy). He has been doing comedy for over 15 years. His comic style puts you in the mind of the late Bernie Mac. He has been featured on TV shows, Radio Talk Shows and various newspapers. As owner of Upstage Comedians, a booking agency for clean and Christian comedians, he is providing a service to connect customers with comedians across the country. His company is one of the fastest growing agencies for booking comedians.

View Videos of Darryl Hutchins here

About Upstage Comedians: Upstage Comedians is an agency where people can book clean & Christian comedians for any venue. They have booked comedians for corporate events, church events, anniversaries, birthday parties, cruises, comedy shows, and family reunions. The comedy they provide is safe for all ages. Ask about their comedy tours and all inclusive packages. They have packages to fit just about any budget.


Intimate Discussion:
ELLA: Did your company change the way consumers were previously taught to think?
Oh yes, definitely! We have been taught that laughter and the church doesn't mix. I have had people tell me it's not polite to play with God. We are not making fun of Christianity at all. We are taking life events or funny things that have happened in church and present them to the audience in a way that's non-offensive. In Luke 6:22 the Bible states " ... blessed are ye that weep now, for ye shall laugh." We all know the scripture that "A merry heart does the soul good like a medicine." This is a ministry as well as a service. Our mission it to throw out old tradition and bring in new fresh laughter.

ELLA: Where did you get your start in this business/industry?
I would say it really started in high school when I would get beat up for joking on people. I knew I was funny, so I would perform comedy wherever I could. When I turned my life over to Christ, I decided to start doing Christian comedy. I didn't know where to begin, so I rented school auditoriums and started hosting my own comedy shows. I hooked up with Pat G'Orge-Walker (Sister Betty) and we started doing shows together. Soon thereafter, I started Upstage Comedians and the list of comedians kept growing.


ELLA: What separates you and your firm from the competition?
A lot of agencies have limited access to comedians. They may have one, two, or three comedians. We have a list of comedians all over the United States. We get a lot of calls from people that have booked a comedian elsewhere and for some reason, the comedian had to cancel. If that happens with Upstage Comedians, we are able to book a replacement comedian, sometimes at short notice. Plus, we have a relationship with our comedians. In some cases, we are able to negotiate prices for our clients. We have been able to get in contact with comedians that others have failed to contact. Plus, we make sure the comedians on our website are truly funny. You won't have to worry about having a "boring" comedian at your event.

ELLA: What is your biggest challenge in business? How did you overcome it?
My biggest challenge was family. They told me to stop doing comedy because I can't get anywhere in life telling jokes. They said go to college, get a good paying job with benefits and stop living in a fantasy world. They even went so far as to have a comedian call me, who was struggling with finances, and tell me how hard it is to make it as a comedian. I stopped doing comedy for about 8 years. I started working at Embarq and I would keep people laughing at work. People encouraged me to do comedy. That's when I decided to rent school auditoriums and host comedy shows. My supervisor told me my shows are too good for a small town and I should move to a bigger city. I have strong faith in God, so I moved from New Bern, NC to Raleigh, NC. That's when the ministry really took off. I remembered a sermon where a pastor said, "The opposite of fear is faith." So, when you get scared, use faith to overcome your fear.


ELLA: What are 3 things all leaders possess?
Faith, Vision & Courage. You MUST have faith and put that faith into action. Next you have vision, and write it down-make it plain. Then the courage to do it.


ELLA: What's new in your company for 2009?
Right now we are planning an online talk show, a reality TV show and setting up a comedy store where people can order DVD's and other products. We are always looking for ways to improve.

To book a comedian or a comedy tour contact:
Darryl Hutchins
Founder/Comedian
Upstage Comedians
P.O. Box 1424
Cary, NC 27512-1424
www.upstagecomedians.com
Phone: 866-988-7987 ext. 2

-----------------------------------------------------
Join the Conversation, leave questions or comments below. Each day active bloggers are selected to win free books and prizes, so leave your email address with each post. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Kudo's to Ella for interviewing one of the funniest Christian comedians I know. I've known D'Lo for awhile and he considers me his mentor. I'm so proud of what he's doing. One thing he didn't mention was that at the end of the shows he calls for altar prayer. I've seen just as many people come to the stage for prayer as I've seen on a Sunday morning.

    That's my spiritual son...and I love 'em.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments below. We appreciate your support, share this post on Facebook and Twitter too. Thanks!