Give the Gift of Knowledge

We have selected amazing books to give as gifts all year long, to populate your home library shelves and to fill those special gift bags. Give the Gift of Knowledge, give a book! You can also read more detailed author interviews at: www.blackpearlsmagazine.com. Share this page on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter!

Meet new author Robin R. Robinson

Intimate Conversation with author Robin R. Robinson

Robin R. Robinson was born in Sacramento, California and she moved to LA in 1980 to pursue a career in front of the camera. She lived in LA for 17 years and returned to northern California in the summer of 2000. While living in LA she worked for Eddie Murphy Productions, Keenen Wayans, Wing Records, Sony Pictures, ABC and Motown Productions. Robin was one of 15 selected out of a field of 300 plus to attend the prestigious Guy Hanks/Marvin Miller Screenwriting class at USC where she developed a comedy pilot as well as spec scripts.

Robin has been journaling since she was 12 years old and has been an avid reader since she was 8 years old. Robin reads at least 2 novels a month.



WHY DO YOU WRITE? WHAT DRIVES YOU?
I write because it's a very easy way to express myself on paper and it comes easy to me. I don't have any problems expressing myself orally; however, writing allows me to imbue characters with traits that I possess or have read about, and it allows me to be more bold. Some of the things that Renee says in my novel, I wouldn't dream of saying; at least not now - 15 years ago yes, but not right now. I've mellowed a bit so I'm not as raunchy. But I can go there if I have to. Good dialogue that believable, funny, and very conversational is what drives me. I believe dialogue should be written the way that people speak. At least that's what I attempt to convey in my writings.


WHAT LEGACY DO YOU OFFER FUTURE READERS:
I believe that my writing is a continuation of the extremely talented, down to earth, ain't taking no mess, author Terry McMillan. I remember reading Waiting to Exhale and saying often that "I really like the way she writes, it reminds me a lot of my writing style."

My book would appeal to most women, most races, who have been scorned by a man that they thought was "the one." Any woman who has (had) body image issues, hair issues and who has lived in a city would relate as well. Also, the book is very funny and most of us enjoy laugh out loud humor.


INTRODUCE US TO CHOCOLATE LEMONS AND PEPPERMINT TEARS: The Bittersweet Life of Xena
Imagine if you will an attractive, successful, never been married black woman in her mid-30's who lives in one of the biggest cities in the world; yet, she is desperately trying to unwrap her brain around Adam, a man (who lives almost 400 miles away) - a married one at that who ripped her heart out of her chest, threw it to the ground and then stomped on it. Xena Quay Vaughan is a strong, determined, ain't taking no prisoners, very cerebral, sho 'nuff sister who wears a short 'fro in a city full of women who buy their hair. Xena also secretly wants Adam to come back in her life (but she would never admit it), she wants to shed 10-15 pounds that nobody can see except for her, and she wants to meet a wonderful, handsome, sexy black man who loves her - faults and all - so that she won't have to grow old alone, which is a big fear of hers.

Readers, this story is relatable on so many levels because:
-- There are so many successful, attractive black women who have never been married.

-- There are many black women who harbor distorted body images - especially if they live in Los Angeles. A city that is powered by aesthetics - what you look like, who you know, where you live, what you drive, who you're ballin'.

-- There are many black women who wear their hair in a natural style (braids, twists, fro) who sometimes feel invisible by (some) men who pay sisters who buy their hair way more attention. Some black men prefer black women to have hair that moves. Some black men feel that women who wear their hair in a short 'fro are gay. I think that misguided belief is not only juvenile; it's ludicrous to boot.


WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE A NEW WRITER?
I tell folks who have asked me about writing the same thing:
A new writer has to read - a lot. I read at least 2 novels a month; as well as magazines, newspapers, the net, etc. Reading is very important. And I also suggest keeping a journal (I've been journaling since I was 12). I also read autobios, some self-help and some non-fiction, although, I prefer fiction.


WHAT BOOK ALREADY PUBLISHED IS SIMILAR TO YOUR BOOK IN ITS WRITING STYLE?
I absolutely love The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister Souljah and I think my book has a bit of that flavor. Also, Waiting to Exhale by Terry McMillan and I also think Lolita Files' latest, Murder, Lies, Sex, Fame has a similar tone. No nonesense, good dialogue, the sense that you don't want to put the book down, and the fact that you laugh out loud.


WHERE CAN WE BUY THE BOOK?
Chocolate Lemons and Peppermint Tears: The Bittersweet Life of Xena (Xpress Yourself Publishing, LLC; ISBN-10: 0981809421 and ISBN-13: 978-0981809427) is now available on www.Amazon.com.

Visit my website: http://www.robinrrobinson.com/. You may also get more information at the publisher's website: http://www.xpressyourselfpublishing.org/xyphome.htm


Please join in the discussion by leaving comments or congrats below.
Black Authors Culture Center-- Twitter with Ella--Black Pearls Mag

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments below. We appreciate your support, share this post on Facebook and Twitter too. Thanks!