Give the Gift of Knowledge

We have selected amazing books to give as gifts all year long, to populate your home library shelves and to fill those special gift bags. Give the Gift of Knowledge, give a book! You can also read more detailed author interviews at: www.blackpearlsmagazine.com. Share this page on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter!

Intimate Conversation with M. C. Pearson (Mimi)

Intimate Conversation with author and book tour host M. C. Pearson (Mimi)

M. C. Pearson (Mimi) graduated with a BA in Art from San Jose State University in 1990. She has centered her life around God, children, art, and writing. Although not a hat person, she has worn many life hats. She's been an Army Sergeant, Illustrator, Custom Framer, Childcare Worker, Nanny, Family Teacher, Cottage Parent, and Writer. She is the Director of the FIRST Wild Card Tours. On any given day you may find her gardening, homeschooling, reading, writing, blogging, hiking in her backyard, and/or drawing. She lives in the country in the beautiful state of North Carolina with her husband of 18 years, their two boys, and two dogs.

Ella: Mimi, introduce us to your book.
Be Careful What You Wish For (A F.A.I.R.I.E.S. Realm Novel) by M. C. Pearson:
Unwittingly chosen to join an army of fairies, who fight for the Light of the One, a teenaged girl learns about spiritual warfare as she attends a military academy with fantastical beings.

While being a fantasy with war and fantastical creatures, it is also humorous and playful. The word F.A.I.R.I.E.S. stands for Fantastical, Aerial, International, Reasonably Inconspicuous, Emancipation Squads. It deals with cultural differences, learning to love, and spiritual warfare. Although it is Christian, it isn't a 'thump you over the head with a Bible' type of book.

Ella: Finish this sentence- I am Powerful because...
I am Powerful because...I am loved.

Ella: Where are you from? How did you start your writing journey?
Originally, I'm from California, but I have lived in North Carolina for the past 8 1/2 years.

STARTING MY WRITING JOURNEY:
I started writing as a stress relief when I worked at a children's home for at-risk youth. I wanted to write something that would tell a fun fantastical story while still keeping the Christian walk as the foundation. I've had many of my friends say that they don't let their teens read fantasy because of the magic. Yet in the children's home I worked at, that was what they all wanted to read. This spurred me to keep writing.

STARTING MY FIRST Wild Card Blog Alliance JOURNEY:

The writer, Chris Well, asked a bunch of his blogging friends to tour the first chapter of his book on the same day. After we did, many asked Chris if he would continue doing this monthly with different authors. He was too busy and asked me if I would take it on. So, I did and named it FIRST Blog Alliance. We blogged on the first day of each month with the first chapter of a book…after about two years of doing only one book a month, and having so many authors wanting a tour, I decided to create FIRST Wild Card Tours. I have three wonderful ladies who assist me: Camy Tang, Deena Peterson, and Margaret Chind. We opened up the calendar to books for every weekday, and we do not charge a cent. It is a ministry, not a business. The only thing that the publishers need to do is send out reviewer copies to members that request them. Then we tour the book on a specific day with the first chapter and a review on each of our blogs.

Ella: Who are your two main characters and what do you like most about them?
Mellie Good Wind: The book is written from Mellie's point of view. She's a Human—I capitalize human because that is like her race in the F.A.I.R.I.E.S. world—who turns 13 during the novel. Her real name is MaryEllen Goodwin, but they call her Mellie Good Wind in the F.A.I.R.I.E.S. realm. What I like the most about Mellie is that she has a good sense of humor. Even though she isn't all that likable at first, she makes me laugh.

Lizzy: Lizzy, a green flower nymph or Limoniade, is Mellie's roommate. Her actual name is Leucanthemum Superbum. Now, if you were really into gardening, you'd know that her name is the name of an Elizabethan Daisy. What I like most about Lizzy is her strength and power while being humble and honest. She is also totally clueless about Humans even though she says that she studies them. Without trying, she says the most laughable things to Mellie. It is especially funny when she doesn't understand Mellie's Human clichés.
Ella: What makes your book stand out and would entice a reader pick it up?
A Christian book about fairies with all sorts of mythological creatures…a 12 years old girl joining an army of militant creatures…dragons…witches…pixies…yeti.

It is a fun read. The beings that Mellie meet become your friends as well. You will laugh, snort, sigh, and even shed a tear or two…but mostly laugh.

Ella: Ultimately, what do you want readers to gain from your book?
Entertainment. I want people to just enjoy reading it. Other than that, I have a few themes that run though the story:

It doesn't matter what you look like, your color or the type of being you are (Human, Nymph, Yeti…), what matters is your love for yourself and others.
We need to stop fighting each other and unite against evil.
We are all in a spiritual warfare battle whether we want to be or not.

Ella: What can we expect from you in the future?
Be Careful What You Wish For (A F.A.I.R.I.E.S. Realm Novel) will be published in August 2009. I'm working on three other books at the moment.

Oh, Pixiedust! ( A F.A.I.R.I.E.S. Realm Novel) takes off where Be Careful What You Wish For ends. Mellie gets changed into a Pixie and encounters a lot of prejudice because of it.
B-L-A-N-K (A F.A.I.R.I.E.S. Realm Novel) has a brand new protagonist. A deaf boy, whose parents just died, goes to live with his aunt at her tribe in Alaska. He befriends a mind-blank dragon. (Dragons speak through their minds…the dragon is essentially deaf also.)
Cheat Codes for Life will be a story about a tom-boy gamer girl who gets involved with demons via the Internet. They grant wishes, but exact a price.

Ella: Share with us your latest news, events or upcoming book releases.
My husband and I are creating our own independent press called FIRST Wild Card Press in April. We will start by publishing my own books. After we learn all the ins and outs, we will take submissions from authors. Be watching for Be Careful What You Wish For (A F.A.I.R.I.E.S. Realm Novel) in August!

The blog alliance, FIRST Wild Card Tours, will still tour all genres, all age groups, fiction and non-fiction for free. We welcome new members (reviewers), but they must have an established blog with a good readership. Authors who wish to tour their books may contact me via the website.

M. C. (Mimi) Pearson
4pearsonz@gmail.com
http://firstwildcardtours.blogspot.com/
http://fantasticalsquads.blogspot.com/

-----------------------------------------------------
Join the Conversation, leave questions or comments below. Each day active bloggers are selected to win free books and prizes, so leave your email address with each post. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments below. We appreciate your support, share this post on Facebook and Twitter too. Thanks!