Give the Gift of Knowledge

We have selected amazing books to give as gifts all year long, to populate your home library shelves and to fill those special gift bags. Give the Gift of Knowledge, give a book! You can also read more detailed author interviews at: www.blackpearlsmagazine.com. Share this page on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter!

Poem: American Dowry by Mozell Fleming

American Dowry

Stentorian love songs
Black again to shatter the lies
they told to discourage you...
Truth lies.

Beauty that they failed to see
failed to recognize.
Lost in Pandora’s eyes.

Be wary
When fools become wise
the truth is set free.

No longer can Styx run over me
only when…. I look into eyes.
Eyes that are ready to see.

One fell away
Protean
The other shunned

Self-esteem, pride, and the dreaded past
was then, is again …at last
The truth set free

Hidden behind the lies
of the carrion that came to devour me… mine
to prick my soul to bleed my eyes

The tears that ran like rain
and I swore to God that I would not fall
I'd never love again...

Then, I looked at you.
Your skin so smooth and fit so tight
I could scarcely attempt to breathe.

I asked myself if you
were there with me
now as well as then... again I look

Again I see
you.
The forbidden fruit that grew

From the lies
From the death
Life found

The seed of all the good
that they have overlooked
I’m delivered a child from gorgons’ womb

A peach...from history…. Hymeneal race
All one need do is see.

Contact Poet and Author Mozell Flemings at: mzflem@yahoo.com
Copyright 2009 written by Mozell Flemings for the 2009 Black History Book Fair

-----------------------------------------------------

Join the Conversation, leave questions or comments below. Each day active bloggers are selected to win free books and prizes, so leave your email address with each post. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments below. We appreciate your support, share this post on Facebook and Twitter too. Thanks!