Give the Gift of Knowledge

We have selected amazing books to give as gifts all year long, to populate your home library shelves and to fill those special gift bags. Give the Gift of Knowledge, give a book! You can also read more detailed author interviews at: www.blackpearlsmagazine.com. Share this page on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter!

Intimate Conversation with author Ashea Goldson

Intimate Conversation Interview with Ashea Goldson and Ella Curry of EDC Creations

Ashea S. Goldson, formerly Ashea Sheremaine Johnson, was born and raised an only child in Brooklyn, New York. Encouraged by both her mother and grandmother, she began to collect books. Since the very beginning Ashea was an avid reader, devouring books daily and excelling in language arts.

She also had an active imagination, putting stories together in her head, writing them down on paper and pasting pictures to add to her stories. Yet it wasn’t until she was in middle school that she discovered that her skill for writing could actually be used in a career.

Ashea Goldson , is currently a resident of Metro Atlanta. She is a wife, a mother of two, a graduate of Fordham University, an author, an educator, and an owner of two businesses. She is also a community groups ministry leader at World Changers Church International.

Ella: Ashea, tell us about your passion for writing.
The Lovechild is a riveting ride through the life of Makaeli Lovechild Hunt, a bi-racial fashion designer who now lives in Italy. Although Makaeli Hunt is has been abused by, and is estranged from her family, she still feels a connection to them. It is this connection that compels her to return to the breeding ground of her pain once a family emergency arises. Within seven days she must face the secrets and lies that have haunted her all these years. In the process, she unknowingly uncovers something so terrible, that even her self-determination and strong willed character can not bear. Only God can show Makaeli what forviveness really means.

It is a story of redemption and re-dedication. It’s a story about how God’s overwhelming, unconditional love can lift us from whatever pit we’re in, no matter how it looks, no matter what people say. It’s a story that confirms our victory in Christ Jesus.

Ella: Finish this sentence: I am Powerful because.....
I am powerful because the joy of The Lord is my strength. I don’t let circumstances overpower me but I believe God’s word, stand on it, and wait for it to come to pass, without wavering or doubting. It’s only my faith in Jesus Christ that makes me powerful.


Ella: Why is it important to celebrate black history 365 days a year?
Since our story, as a people, is just beginning to be told , we must do everything in our power to dig it up, to understand our heritage. Black history leads us to the root of who we are so we can go forward,and we cannot fully embrace it in only one month. There is too much to learn, too much to be proud of, too much to resolve. I believe it would take atleast 365 days for our people to begin to correct our thinking, to begin to grasp what we clearly haven't been taught about our past.

Ella: Where are you from? How did you start your writing journey?
I am originally from Brooklyn, New York. My writing journey actually began when I was a little girl writing stories and pasting pictures to make books. I am my mother’s only child so therefore I often lacked playmates. As a result of this I developed an extensive imagination. I always loved to read and write stories, and poetry. I wrote for various publications throughout middle, high school and college.

However, my official debut as a published author didn’t actualize until about 2002 when God gave me a revelation about writing being my purpose. At that point I began to see myself differently, as a God ordained writer.Consequently, I began to pursue every writing opportunity available to me. First I published a collection of poetry and short stories called When Torn Down Is All You Know. Then a few years later I submitted a manuscript to Urban Christian Publishers and the rest is history.

Ella: Who are your two main characters and what do you like most about them?
The two main characters are Makaeli Hunt and her sister Lisa . I love Makaeli for her compassion and sensitivity. She cares deeply for her family although their dysfunction have caused great trauma in her life. I admire Lisa for her strength and tenacity. Lisa is determined that nothing will destroy her family or her mother’s reputation and she does everything in her power to preserve that.

Ella: What makes your book stand out and would entice a reader pick it up?
I think that the Lovechild is not your typical story. First of all, it begins with an African American female who is living and owns a business in Italy. The story is not about a man woman/ relationship, a group of girlfriends, or a search to find a man/woman relationship. Although it’s labeled Christian fiction, it’s not preachy. It is about the dynamics of a real family relationship,life’s challenges and the consequences of deception. My characters are flawed but they are real, and although they are African American,their experiences are universal; therefore I think the story will appeal to anyone.

Ella: Ultimately, what do you want readers to gain from your book?
I want readers to know that God is real, and that He is unconditional love. I want them to know about his redeeming grace and about forgiveness. No matter what you’ve gone through, no matter how you feel, a real relationship with Jesus Christ can ultimately rescue and restore you.

Ella: What is the one most surprising thing you have learned in creating books?
The most surprising thing I learned is about marketing being just as important as writing the book. That is a job in and of itself. I never knew how much promotion must go into selling a book after it is written. Now I understand that there is no point having a quality product if no one ever knows about it.

Ella:What would you say has been your most significant achievement as a writer?
I think my greatest achievement would actually be completeting a work worthy of acceptance by a traditional publishing company.

Ella: What advice would you give a new writer? Would you change anything?
I would tell any new writer to write everyday, whether it’s a blog, a journal, poetry, short stories or whatever. I would also tell them to secure a good support system, either online or preferably a local writer’s group where he or she can gain support, information, and possibly critiquing. Finally I would say read everything, articles or blogs about the publishing industry, books in various genres, and most importantly craft books so that you can become the best writer you can be.

Ella: What can we expect from you in the future?
I am currently completing my second Christian fiction novel Joy Comes In The Morning which will be released in 2010. I will also be promoting my independent press, GoldWrite Publishing, in 2009. I am actively seeking Christian fiction manuscripts and short stories now. I’d like to also publish children’s books in 2009 as well. The Lovechild is available at book retailers everywhere.
Ella: How may our readers reach you for interviews or speaking engagements?
Readers can reach me via email at: asheagoldson@yahoo.com. At my website at: zww.asheagoldson.com. They can also check out my radio program at: www.blogtalkradio.com/ashea-goldson and blog with me at: http://www.ashea-goldson.blogspot.com/

Ashea Goldson,
Author of The Lovechild, Available in bookstores everywhere
Treasurer and Founding member of ACFW, S.E Atlanta Chapter (V.I.P)
-----------------------------------------------------
Join the Conversation, leave questions or comments below. Each day active bloggers are selected to win free books and prizes, so leave your email address with each post. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments below. We appreciate your support, share this post on Facebook and Twitter too. Thanks!