Give the Gift of Knowledge

We have selected amazing books to give as gifts all year long, to populate your home library shelves and to fill those special gift bags. Give the Gift of Knowledge, give a book! You can also read more detailed author interviews at: www.blackpearlsmagazine.com. Share this page on Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter!

Intimate Conversation with Nyra Knight

Intimate Conversation Interview with Nyra Knight

Nyra is a native Detroiter currently residing in Atlanta. A devoted wife and mother, she enjoys writing in her spare time. She is a graduate of WMU and member of Sigma Gamma Rho, Sorority. Intimate Accusations is a result of the fun had with family and friends over the years.

Ella: Welcome Nyra, tell us about your passion for writing.
I think I get my passion for writing from my love for telling stories. I like talking to people and love sharing interesting or funny stories. When writing a book you get to go deeper and describe for your reader every juicy detail. So writing for me gives me that opportunity to go deeper than I normally would if I were talking.
Ella: Nyra, tell us about your book, Intimate Accusations and its characters.

Intimate Accusations, a novel set in the Atlanta Georgia area, introduces three girlfriends who find themselves leaning on each other for comfort as they go through their own relationship turmoil.

Brea, a dedicated teacher, encounters a student facing a serious dilemma. Walking away from helping a student in need is simply out of the question. But when offering assistance turns into tragedy and possible legal ramifications, Brea needs someone to lean on. While pondering a marriage proposal from Mark, Brea decides to get her strength from the one person who should be there for her. With Mark’s busy career and lack of concern for Brea’s apparent situation, she finds herself falling apart due stress. Leaning on her attorney for strength seems like a safe alternative, except her attorney happens to be a deceitful ex-fling from the past that still has feelings for her.

Mark seems to have it all, the perfect job, the perfect home and the perfect “family value” concept, but can he provide Brea with the one thing she needs, or will Jason step in and show her how a real man treats a woman?

After ten years of marriage, Kam finds herself doubting her husband. Their plan to start a family has been on hold for years. The financial stipulation laid down by her husband made the dream of starting a family an impossible nightmare. When his behavior starts to change, Kam begins to seek answers. Her questionable methods lead to cyberspace mayhem. Can their marriage survive accusations of infidelity, when the evidence is overwhelming?

Mo, a fun loving Interior Designer, loves to date. After joining an internet dating website, she finds herself in a vicious cyber dating cycle. With men coming and going, Mo loses herself in the dot com world of love. Can she stop her serial dating and finally learn to love herself?

With love comes trust and respect. Brea, Kam and Mo lean on each other as they learn valuable lessons when accusations fly and hearts are broken in Intimate Accusations.

Ella: We are celebrating African American literature and its power. As well as Black History Month. Let's chat about these topics for a moment. Finish this sentence for me: I am Powerful because...
Nyra: I am Powerful because I inspire others to aim high and achieve their dreams.

Ella: Nyra, why is it important for you to to celebrate Black History 365 days a year?
It is important to celebrate Black History 365 days a year so that we can remember how we got to the state we are in today. Children so often forget that not too long ago, African Americans could not read, write or vote. We have so much history that has not been shared, by celebrating 365 days a year, we can ensure that the real stories (the true version and not the version everyone wants us to believe) are told and that our children are inspired to achieve more.

Ella: How did you start your writing journey? Did you read alot as a kid?
I am from Detroit Michigan. As a child I used to watch my mother get so engaged in reading her romance novels, that she was able to tune out 7 kids. I guess with 7 kids, you have to find some way to keep your sanity. My first thought was that the books had to be interesting. When I graduated from college and had a child of my own, I found myself reading romance novels after my son went to sleep. After a while I convinced myself that I could write a good story, and so I began. It took a while to complete the first book. But I met people who inspired me to want to continue.

Ella: Who are your two main characters and what do you like most about them?
My book has 3 main characters, Brea, Mo and Kam. What I like most about these ladies is their love and friendship for each other. They are open and honest with each other, much like my sisters and my friends. No matter what is going on in your lives, people need friends to talk to and laugh with. These ladies show that you can be there for someone, even when you're going through your own nightmare.

Ella: What makes your book stand out and would entice a reader pick it up?
My book has characters that are real. They depict normal African-American people in situations many of us face everyday.

Ella: Ultimately, what do you want readers to gain from your book?
I really want readers to have fun while reading my book. It is not a self help book, or a history book, but it is a really good read with some laughs and food for thought.

Ella: What is the most surprising thing you have learned in creating books?
I was most surprised at the level of difficulty in getting bookstores to put books on their shelves. I had no idea about the process and have a new found understanding and appreciation for authors who have successfully overcome this task.

Ella: What would you say has been your most significant achievement as a writer?
My most significant achievement as a writer was finally finishing my first novel. I procrastinated so much. It wasn't until I had a discussion with my son about procrastination and his homework. He made the comment..."Like you're doing with your book?" After I got on him about his smart response, I thought about what he said and how true it was. From that moment, I set aside a little time each day after everything else was done to write. That helped me finish my novel and show my son that you can overcome procrastination.

Ella: What advice would you give a new writer?
My advice to a new writer would be to stick with it. Do not give up and don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it.

Ella: Name 3 things that it takes to make a successful author, in your opinion?
The 3 things I think it takes to make a successful author is 1) Perseverance - you have to continue no matter what obstacles may come your way. Do your homework. You have to really research the writing industry and be prepared. Finally, Marketing is key. Writing a novel is one thing, but getting it out there is totally different.

Ella: What can we expect from you in the future?
I am currently working on my second novel, tentatively titles "Where The Truth Lies". Which is expected to be complete by early summer 2009.

Ella: How may our readers contact you for speaking engagements or interviews?
I can be contacted via email at: nnknight18@hotmail.com or nnknight18@yahoo.com.
Please visit my website at www.nyraknight.com

-----------------------------------------------------
Join the Conversation, leave questions or comments below. Each day active bloggers are selected to win free books and prizes, so leave your email address with each post. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments below. We appreciate your support, share this post on Facebook and Twitter too. Thanks!